Even though the housing market is not what it once was, everyday people are still making the decision to pack up and move somewhere else. If you are thinking about calling some new place home, here are a few things to keep in mind to assure that your move goes as smooth as possible. (Moving to Austin? We offer FREE Austin relocation services!)
The first, and probably the most important thing you should consider, is renting a self-storage unit. Despite what most people think, self-storage facilities are not just for people who have run out of room at home and need a permanent location to house their excess baggage. They are also an incredibly convenient way to move if you haven’t settled down yet. Temporary storage can be used to house a lifetime’s worth of belongings just long enough for you to conduct a thorough search for a new home.
The majority of self-storage facilities allow you to rent month to month, eliminating the need to rush or to find a contract that fits your short-term needs. Here are a few tips on finding the right storage company for you.
- If you have an idea of the general area or neighborhood that you want to live in, find a local self-storage facility to make your move less of a hassle.
- Weigh your options of cost versus convenience. The cheapest self-storage facility might not be located anywhere near where you intend to live, so you could end up paying more per month for convenience. But if moving out of your rental space will require more than one trip, consider paying more for a closer facility.
- Urban dwellers may also feel more confident about storage facilities with high-tech security, as well as gated and alarm-activated storage units.
- Pack your unit carefully. Put non-essential items like furniture in the back, and leave items such as clothing where they can be easily reached. You might be living out of your temporary storage space for a while and you’ll want to be able to get to certain things easily.
Just because you need temporary storage to house your belongings while you look for a permanent place to live does not mean you should feel obligated to do everything yourself. Not everyone that uses a self-storage facility gets their belongings there on their own accord. Here are a few of your other options for this process.
- Have a professional moving company deliver your belongings to a pre-arranged self-storage unit. If you’re moving a fair distance, this will require that you get a good idea of exactly how much temporary storage space you’ll need. And if you have to overshoot, do so. It’s far better to have too much room than too little room.
- If you’re not moving far, look for moving storage companies that offer both movers and storage facilities. Not every self-storage company has a staff of movers and trucks at the ready, but there are some that combine services, which can significantly lessen the hassle of moving.
Renting from one of these facilities can seriously reduce the chaos that can be associated with the relocating process. Take these tips to heart and make sure that your next move is as hassle free as possible.
This article was provided by SpareFoot, the largest online marketplace for self-storage.